API stands for application progamming interface. The Bloomberg Desktop API (the “API”) is a part of the BLOOMBERG PROFESSIONAL® service (the “Terminal”). It allows users to download the same high quality, timely data they rely on within the Terminal environment for use with desktop applications on their local PC.
*** The API service must be installed individually for each account created, as such if you are a new user and want to export data into excel you will need to follow the steps below.
If the Bloomberg ribbon or menu does not automatically appear in Microsoft® Excel, you can install the BLOOMBERG PROFESSIONAL® service Add-In using the Bloomberg API Diagnostics tool.
1. Close all Microsoft® Office applications.
2. From the Start menu of your PC, select All Programs > Bloomberg > API Environment Diagnostics.
Note: If the Bloomberg folder or the API Environment Diagnostics application does not appear, see Downloading the Add-In.
The Bloomberg API Diagnostics window appears.
3. In the upper left corner of the Bloomberg API Diagnostics window, click the Start button.
- The diagnostic tool checks your system, displaying a progress bar at the top of the window. The process can take up to a minute to complete. When the process completes, a confirmation window appears.
4. Click the OK button.
The results of the diagnostics tool appear in the System Attributes section, displaying each category of system attributes.
For more information on the colors that appear, see Result Colors.
5. In the upper left corner of the window, if the Repair button is enabled, click the Repair button.
- The diagnostics tool attempts to install the software. A confirmation window appears.
6. Click the OK button.
7. Open Excel and look for the Bloomberg ribbon or menu at the top of the window.
If the Bloomberg API Diagnostics tool fails to install the Add-In ribbon or menu, you can download the Add-In software from Bloomberg and install it.
To download and install the Add-In software:
- Close all Microsoft® Office applications.
In your web browser, go to http://www.bloomberg.com/professional/downloads/ .
The Client Downloads web page appears.
In the Shortcuts Client Downloads section, click Office Tools.
The Office Tools Client Downloads options appear.
Click Bloomberg Office Tools.
The Bloomberg Office Tools window appears.
Click the Download .Exe button.
The .exe file downloads to your system.
Run the .exe file.
The installation wizard appears.
- Follow the steps in the installation wizard to install the files.
- Open Excel and look for the Bloomberg ribbon or menu at the top of the window.
- BU < GO > Bloomberg University where you can watch online tutorials of how to use the Excel API.
- BBXL < GO > Cheatsheets, pre-programmed spreadsheets, demo-spreadsheets, and explanation of error messages.
- DOCS < GO > - Bloomberg documents
- EASY < GO > - Tips & Shortcuts
- IPCB < GO > - Cheatsheets/Brochures
- MANU < GO > - Online manuals
Cornell University provides examples of Fundamental analysis, Historical Data, Intraday Data, Scenario Builder, and Static data and data sets.