1. Locate background information.
- use encyclopedia articles to find keywords (terminology, words for narrowing topic, important scholars) and citations to other materials.
2. Develop and narrow your topic; form an issue or research question.
3. Find research materials you may use in your paper.
- books, journal articles
4. Evaluate and select materials that you will use in your paper.
5. Write draft, cite sources, and write final paper.
- use an approved citation format, and consult style manuals as needed.
- begin writing early.